Thursday, June 17, 2010

Welcome

Welcome to PsychoBLOGgle! My name is Dr. Stanley and I am a licensed Psychologist in the District of Columbia. I provide individual, family/couples, and group counseling services to adolescents and adults. I believe that therapy can be a very useful tool, but I am aware that the process of therapy and mental health issues remain a big mystery to a large portion of the general population. Some believe that therapy is reserved for "crazy people" (their words- not mine!) or that seeking therapy is a sign of weakness in "normal" people. Additionally, some assume that therapists "just listen" to their clients and some even believe that therapists brainwash their patients! I plan to address many such questions and concerns and to provide general information about the mental health field.

The name of the blog is a play on the word "psychobabble", which is defined as "Language characterized by the often inaccurate use of jargon from psychiatry and psychotherapy" (The Free Dictionary by Farlex). My hope is that this blog will demystify the process of therapy and provide more accurate information about the field of psychology than what exists in the media, pop culture, etc.

Before I get started I have to provide some Disclaimers:

This blog is for informational purposes only.

The opinions expressed on this blog are my own and are based on my experiences and personal philosophy of counseling/psychotherapy.

I DO NOT provide online psychotherapy and this blog was not created for that purpose. I will answer general questions about the field of psychology and psychotherapy but WILL NOT give advice or guidance about personal problems or situations etc. My next blog post will provide an overview of therapy, which will explain the importance of the relationship between the therapist and the client. I do not develop therapeutic relationships online and will not do so through communications through this blog. Additionally, it takes time for me to get a full picture of a client's concerns, and I don't generally give "advice" (which will also be discussed in my next post). So, to reiterate, this blog WILL NOT provide online therapy.

This website and the information provided is not to be used as a stand-in for therapy or mental health treatment. If you are in need of either I can direct you to websites that may provide you with resources for locating services.

If you are in crisis, dial 911 to access your local hospital and emergency services providers. I DO NOT RESPOND TO PERSONAL CRISES ONLINE.

Thank you for your cooperation and I look forward to sharing with you through this blog!

Dr. Stanley

No comments:

Post a Comment